21 reasons to choose aluminium extrusion
1. Aluminium weighs just a third of iron, copper, brass and steel. As a result it’s easier to handle and transport, and cheaper to move from A to B.
2. It’s a remarkably strong metal, suitable for most applications, even heavy ones.
3. Aluminium is highly reflective, perfect for lighting.
4. The reflective nature of the metal means it’s also ideal for shielding areas or objects from light, radio waves and infrared radiation.
5. Aluminium extrusions are very good thermal conductors, conducting both heat and cold better than most other common metals.
6. The extrusions’ design flexibility means it’s possible to maximise heat dissipation and prevent components and housings from overheating.
7. Aluminium doesn’t spark, so it’s perfect for explosive or flammable environments.
8. Using the extrusion process, you can create ultra-strong items that concentrate the strength exactly where it’s needed, creating walls of different thicknesses and reinforcing the profile’s design.
9. Because aluminium gets ever-stronger as the temperature drops, it’s particularly useful in cold weather and other cold circumstances.
10. The metal has a unique strength-to-weight ratio. Because it’s high strength to low weight, extruded aluminium is in great demand for load-carrying applications.
11. It’s resilient, a potent mix of strength and flexibility, springing back from impact shock with ease and flexing under heavy weights.
12. It comes with very good resistance to corrosion, protected by its natural oxide file.
13. The metal’s innate oxide file protection can be improved even more via anodizing and through various other common finishing processes.
14. Aluminium extrusions have great electrical conduction properties, twice as good as copper.
15. Because it isn’t magnetic the metal doesn’t attract magnetic charges, making it particularly useful high-voltage and electronics contexts.
16. It doesn’t burn.
17. It doesn’t give off poisonous gases or fumes.
18. Aluminium extrusion technology is ideal for creating complicated yet seamless shapes, which makes the end result extremely strong. It’s much more effective than creating something from several parts then having to weld them together.
19. Because the tooling side of things is relatively cheap, lead times are comparatively short. All of which means it’s particularly quick to market.
20. When they’re designed right, aluminium extrusions make fabrication and assembly surprisingly easy.
21. Aluminium is impressively sustainable and can be recycled more or less infinitely without affecting the functionality or appearance.
Any questions? Ask Metalex, the expert aluminium stockists
Is aluminium extrusion right for your application? Metalex are much more than aluminium stockists. We know the metal intimately, and we always appreciate the chance to use our knowledge to help customers get exactly what they need for the job in hand.
THE LATEST FROM THE BLOG